iTunes 8 Update: Genius Feature
Apple released new iPods and an update to iTunes today. The one feature that I would like to share with you is the new “Genius” play list creator. I have been playing around with it and am impressed. It is great at generating play lists based on a single song that are good and relevant.
How to use it:
- Download iTunes 8 and install on your computer.
- Activate the Genius feature. You will have to log in to your iTunes account.
- Select a song and then click the “Genius” icon on the lower left to create the play list.
- That’s it. Apple has a tutorial here.
- You can also save the play lists and refresh them.
How it works: It links your iTunes Library to the iTunes Store where they keep information about songs and the other songs that go well in a play list with it. This is information is gathered from other iTunes users and processed using Apple’s “special” algorithms (yeah fancy). When you pick a song it scans your library for songs that go with the song that you have selected. All this information is supposed to be handled anonymously, so you don’t have to worry about privacy issues. It also recommends songs that you do not have that are go with it in the “Genius” sidebar to buy at the iTunes Store ($$$). You can watch Steve Jobs explain it here. (hint: it starts 6 mins. into it)
One other thing that I noticed is that some songs do not have “Genius” information yet. This means it will not be able to generate a play list for these songs.