Advice For The Next Mayor of New Orleans: 10 Points
Moving forward there are a few words of advice I would like to give the next mayor of New Orleans. (no need to waste any breath on the current administration)
Keep it simple.
- Lower the added cost of living and doing business in Orleans Parish
- Concentrating on improving basic infrastructure, roads, levees, sewage, electrical grid.
- Reduce all impediments to development.
- Do not solve problems with government force that can be solved through property rights and contracts. All you end up doing is creating more political fiefdoms.
- Ruthlessly enforce violent crimes and property rights violations.
- Let the free market for education continue to grow. Public money toward education should simply flow to the school the child and parents choose to attend.
- Do not restrain creativity and do not fear creative destruction (scary term).
- Liquidate unneeded government assets into the private domain to reduce taxes and create an infrastructure fund.
- Do not unfairly punish one industry or unfairly reward another. Allow the market to determine the proper allocation of our resources.
- Create absolute transparency in the allocation of funds through political organizations.
A Mayor that would concentrate on these 10 things would see New Orleans prosper as it never has in its entire history. Who’s going to be our man(woman) in 2010?